CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Year Three of Football




This is the third year of Tommy playing football. I have to say that I wasn't sure if football was going to be Tommy's sport. The last couple of years, he would play about 3-5 min. per game. Which obviously made ME sad, but it didn't seem to bother Tommy too much.
Well, THIS year, we are in a different school, and he is doing 7th grade again, so he is the right size (In fact, he is now as tall as me). The coaches have him playing about 95 percent of the time on both offence and defence. He is a force that can't be stopped! I wish my brothers and dad could see him play in person. It is so much fun!
Dave is a nervous wreck on the sidelines. He gets so into the game.
Okay..opinion time...
So the last game, Tommy gets wacked really hard..he is limping and you can see that the wind was knocked out of him and his back is tweaked. So, I'm behind the line of players and I say,(because no one else on the team is..) "Tommy, are you alright? Do you want to lie down for a second?" Dave started shushing me.."Terri, you are embarrassing him...don't talk to him." Can't a mother ask how he is????


6 comments:

Troy said...

Absolutely Not! Are you trying to make him a social pariah?! Wait until he gets home and put him in a hot bath...but not at the game!!! :)

swat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Red Tent Artist said...

You have to e-mail me and let me know how it came about that he is doing 7th grade again...

I'm glad he is loving football!! It becomes a family thing

Kim Watson said...

I would say to trust Dave. He was once a pre-teen boy and knows better than we would what is embarrassing for him. I understand your concern as a mother, though.
That is awesome that he's playing so much! And I'm still trying to wrap my mind around Tommy being as tall as you...
I might miss you when you come to AZ, but if you're still coming to UT for Thanksgiving, I'll probably be there. I'd love to see this tall creature in person (Tommy, I mean) :)

Malie said...

Oooh. That's a hard one, but I would have to go with listening to your husband. I could just see the same scenario happening with Randy, Tyler and myself. Me thinking that it's ok to ask that, and then my son telling me that it was embarrassing.
Also, I can't believe you've been there that long for him to be on his 3rd year of football. Football is particularly huge in this town, (Manti Te'o came from this area), and Tyler is starting to show interest. I'm not sure if I'm ready for it. He already gets hurt from weird things, never mind putting him in a football game. (Big sigh). We'll see what happens. I'm hoping he continues with basketball.

Kristin Coppee said...

Haha! No. You cannot. My 13-year-old son taught me this lesson a while back. I would drop him off at school or to hang with friends and see a movie and say, "Have a good day, honey" or "Have fun at the movie." And he'd scowl at me and say, "MOM! STOP!" And I'd be sad and think, "I was just telling him to have fun. What?"